I had just lost $50 and I felt very upset. 我刚刚丢了50英镑,感到非常烦恼。(and连接不用加逗号)
The police had a difficult time, but they were most amused. 警察虽然吃了苦头,但他们还是感到很有趣。(but连接要加逗号)
注:or连接句子的时候,通常用于祈使句后面,翻译为“否则”
Obey your boss or you will be fired. 服从你的上司,否则你会被解雇。
Don't cheat at exams or others will despise you. 考试不要作弊,否则别人会瞧不起你。
Give me liberty or give me death. 不自由,毋宁死。
连接句子中任何对等的成分
连接主语
A young man and a young woman were sitting behind me.
一青年男子与一青年女子坐在我的身后。
连接谓语:相当于是连接两个句子,省略了第二个句子的主语
I visited museums and sat in public gardens. 我参观了博物馆,还去了公园。
I entered the hotel manager's office and sat down. 我走进饭店经理的办公室,坐了下来
注:连接谓语的时候,只要助动词相同,即可省略助动词
After taking off, we were flying low over the city and (were) slowly gaining height, when the plane suddenly turned round and flew back to the airport. 起飞之后,我们在城市上空低低地飞行,然后慢慢爬高。这时飞机突然调转头来,飞回了 机场。(括号里的助动词were可省略)
谓语动词相同的,也可以省略。
Mary is very happy but John (is) very miserable. 玛丽很幸福,但是约翰很悲惨。
Experience is the father of wisdom, and memory (is) the mother. 经验乃智慧之父,记忆为智慧之母。
Reading makes a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man.读书使人渊博,交谈使人机敏,写作使人严谨。(conference和writing后省略了makes)- Francis Bacon(弗朗西斯培根)
连接宾语
I looked at the man and the woman angrily. 我回过头去怒视着那一男一女。
He asked me for a meal and a glass of beer. 他问我要一顿饭和一杯啤酒。(连接介词for的两个宾语)
连接表语
The railway station was big, black and dark. 火车站很大,又黑又暗。
The explanation was simple but very unusual. 解释很简单,却异乎寻常
连接宾语补语
He saw two thieves rush out of a shop and run towards a waiting car. 他看到有两个小偷从一家商店里冲出来,奔向等在那里的一辆汽车。
连接定语
Pupils of the school, old and new, will be sending him a present to mark the occasion.为了纪念这个日子,学校的学生——无论老同学还是新同学——将送他一件礼物。
连接状语
We shall all remember Mr. Page for his patience and understanding and for the kindly encouragement.我们不会忘记佩奇先生对我们既有耐心又充满理解,还有亲切鼓励。
注:or连接对等成分的时候,通常翻译为“或者”
They will go to the zoo or play volleyball. 他们要去动物园或打排球
I want to have a talk with Mr. Jones or Mr. Smith. 我想和琼斯先生或者史密斯先生谈谈。
And也可表示“然后”,“但是”,”那么,则”的意思
Cease to struggle and you cease to live. 停止奋斗,则终止了生命。
Idleness is sweet, and its consequences are cruel. 懒惰是甜蜜的,但其结果是残酷的。
I will set my goal and work toward it. 我要确定目标,然后为此努力。
In answer to these questions I either nodded or made strange noises. 作为对这些问题的回答,我不是点头,就是发出奇怪的声音。
Either Bob or Jim or Sam will be the new vice president of the company. 不是鲍勃就是吉姆或者是山姆会成为这家公司的新副总裁。
既不是...也不是...:neither...nor...,也可用其它否定词代替neither
He answered me, but he spoke neither slowly nor clearly. 他回答了,但他讲得既不慢也不清楚。
We are worried about Mary. She neither eats nor drinks nor talks. 我们替玛丽担心。她不吃不喝也不说话
The story is not interesting nor instructive. 这个故事没有味道,也没有教育意义。
I have never spoken nor written to her. 我跟她从来没说过话,也没写过信。
不是...而是...:not...but...
I went to the concert not with my brother but with my friend. 我不是和我哥哥去音乐会,而是和我朋友去的。(只能省略动词,不能省略介词)
We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard. 我们选择10年内登月以及另外一些事情,不是因为它们容易,而是因为它们困难。(肯尼迪总统在阿波罗登月计划动员会上的讲话)
“Listen, my dear, we must hold on to hope," my father calm but insistently replied.“Not because hope is real, but because we have to live up to nobility." “听着,亲爱的,我们必须抱有希望,”我爸爸平静但坚定地回答。“这并不是因为希望真的存在,而是因为我们要做高贵的人。” 《The wandering earth》Liu Cixin (刘慈欣《流浪地球》)
不仅...而且...:not only...but(also).../not only...but...as well
He answered all the question not only quickly but (also) accurately. 他回答所有问题时不仅快,而且准确。
The Big Ben is not only of immense size, but is extremely accurate as well. 此钟不仅外型巨大,而且走时也非常准确。
英国英语常用not only... but... as well,
美国英语常用not only... but also...(also可省略)
I not only spoke English very carefully, but very clearly as well.(英)
I not only spoke English very carefully, but (also) very clearly. (美)我的英语讲得不但非常认真,而且咬字也非常清楚。
注:上述并列连词连接的并列名词作主语时,谓语动词的单复数与靠后面的名词一致
Either Thomas or I am going to call you tomorrow about the job.不是托马斯就是我明天会打电话给你谈工作的事。
...和...两者都:both...and...
To go far, you need both a dream and a positive attitude.要成功,你需要梦想和积极的态度。
注:本并列连接的并列名词作主语时,谓语动词一律用复数
Both my mother and my sister work at the grocery store. 我妈妈和我姐姐都在这个杂货店工作。
既是...又是...:... as well as ...
Nursing is a vocation as well as a profession. 护理工作既是职业又是救死扶伤的责任。
He shared in my sorrows as well as in my joys. 他分担我的快乐也分享我的悲伤。
注:...as well as...的意思和not only...but (also)...相近,但是前者强调前面的名词,谓语动词与强调的名词一致。
The bedrooms, as well as the kitchen, need to be repaired if we rent the house. 如果我们要租这个房子,卧室和厨房都需要维修。
是...而不是...:...rather than...
These are political rather than social matters.这是政治问题而不是社会问题。
That everyone may receive a moderate education is an object of vital importance. 每个人能够接受适当的教育似乎是一个至关重要的目标。(主语从句)
Many people pretend that they understand modern art. 有很多人装成很懂现代艺术的样子。(宾语从句)
The most surprising thing about it, however, is that it can land anywhere: on snow, water, or even on a ploughed field. 然而,最令人惊奇的是它能够在任何地方降落:雪地,水面,甚至刚耕过的田里。(表语从句)
No one could account for the fact that one of the boxes was extremely heavy.其中有只箱子特别重,可谁也弄不清是怎么回事。(同位语从句)
that从句作主语时,为了使主干更紧凑,通常可用it作行驶时主语,而将真正的主语后置
It was obvious that he was very embarrassed. 显然他感到很尴尬。
It is a curious coincidence that Mr. Page will have been teaching for a total of forty years. 佩奇先生执教满总共40年,这真是奇妙的巧合。
He then asked when Mr Gilbert would be allowed to go home and the doctor told him that he would have to stay in hospital for another two weeks.然后他又问吉尔伯特先生什么时候可以回家,医生说他在医院还必须再住上两个星期。(宾语从句,其中when作从句中的状语)
The doctors have not yes decided how the woman died. 医生们至今还未确定这位妇女的死因。
I have no idea what has happened to him. 我不知道他发生了什么事?
造句练习
1.谁将负责这项工程还没有(被)决定。(be in charge of)
1.Who will be in charge of the project hasn't been decided yet.
2.他要来参加这个会议(已经)使得我们每个人激动了。
2.That he will come to the conference has excited every one of us.
3.他告诉我他们会帮助我们完成整个工作的。
3.He told me that they would help us finish the whole work.
4.我不知道(wonder)您是否能小声点。
4.I wonder whether/if you would mind making less noise.
5.我认为每天多喝水是有必要的。
5.I think it necessary that we (should) take plenty of water every day.
6.我不知道(have no idea)他们什么时候回来定居。
6.I have no idea when they will be back and settle down.
7.我(已经)发现所有的票都(已经)卖光了。
7.I have found that all the tickets had been sold out.
8.问题是这部电视剧是否值得一看。
8.The question is whether the TV play is worth watching.